May 9th, 2017

Newhaven to Totnes - Lancing College Chapel - Arundel

Our final morning with Misty, Newhaven
Lancing College and Chapel
Church Micro 8588
Lancing Chapel from the South East
Cloisters of Lancing Chapel
100 ft long Memorial Cloister with
7-bays. Vaulting ornamented with fan tracery, dedicated 1927
Lancing College Chapel is one of the tallest interior-vaulted churches in the United Kingdom.
The apex of the vaulting rises to 90 ft
Lancing Chapel Quire Stall.
The canopies were designed by
Sir George Gilbert Scott

Lancing Chapel Apse Tapestries
were designed by
Amy Akers-Douglas, wife of
2nd Viscount Chilston in 1933

Tomb of Nathaniel Woodard
Lancing Chapel
Lancing Chapel
The chapel was designed by
R.H. Carpenter and William Slater.
The foundation stone of the chapel
was laid in 1868
Oxford Lectern Bible
Designed by
Bruce Rogers. This is one of 200 Bibles printed by
Oxford University Press, 1935 by special command of King George V
Lancing Chapel Ceiling painted by
Campbell Smith & Co., 1978
The west end was originally designed by
Stephen Dykes Bower and constructed between
1960 and 2017
Lancing Chapel
The Nave stretches 10 bays and terminates in an Apse
Poppyhead
Lancing Chapel
High Altar and Apse
Lancing Chapel
Rose Window by
Arthur Edward Buss.
Organ by J.W. Walker, 1914.
The Rose Window has over 30,000 pieces of stained glass and is 32 ft in diameter.
It is one of the largest
Rose Windows in England
Lancing Chapel
Lancing College and Chapel
The Chapel is an example of Gothic Revival Architecture.
It was designed by R.H Carpenter and William Slater
1. Lady Chapel Window by Goddard & Gibbs, 1981
2. 3.
Nathaniel Woodard’s Chantry Chapel
4. 'St Nicholas', 1927
'Nicholas of Bari with Two Children and the Virgin Mary'
Copy of a picture by
Alessandro Bonvicino, 1539
Lancing Chapel
'St Peter'
By
Alonso Cano
Lancing Chapel
'St Mary and St Nicholas',
Applique Work
Beati Mundo Corde
(Blessed are the pure in heart)
Lancing College motto
'The Holy Family'
by
Sebastiano Del Piombo
(born Sebastiano Luciani)
Lancing Chapel
'La Madonna Della Sedia' by Raffaelle Sanzio
Lancing Chapel
Entrance to the Crypt
Lancing Chapel
Window in Memory of Bishop Trevor Huddleston,
a pupil at Lancing College 1927 – 1931
Designed by Mel Howse and dedicated by
Archbishop Desmond Tutu, 2006
Lancing Chapel
Gillian at the
North Entrance
Lancing Chapel
Church Micro 1756
Wall Paintings on the West Wall of the Chancel were found in 1949
Coombes Church, West Sussex
'Lion of St Mark' surrounded by the Symbols of the Evangelists
Coombes Church, West Sussex
Christ gives the Keys to St Peter
and the Book to St Paul
Coombes Church, West Sussex

Early C12th Wall Paintings, Coombes Church, West Sussex
Throughout the church there are numerous wall paintings. On the North wall Joseph is shown leading a donkey bearing Mary and Jesus and on the South side are traces of a Nativity. Herod on his throne is shown with his advisers and a group of Jews represents those who were sceptical about the true paternity of Jesus

A lunch time stop with a view of Arundel Castle
Arundel Castle was established during the reign of Edward the Confessor and completed by
Roger de Montgomery.

Return to Main Index