March 16th, 2018

Bulmer - Wickham St Paul - Castle Hedingham - Sible Hedingham - Wethersfield - Finchingfield - Great Bardfield - Little Bardfield - Thaxted
Debban
- Newport - Wicken Bonhunt - Clavering - Arkesden - Wedens Ambo - Saffron Walden - Radwinter

Octagonal font c.1500. Angels and shields on the bowl and woodwoses on the stem
St Andrew's Church, Bulmer
Tiles on three levels leading to the altar
St Andrew's Church, Bulmer
Queen Victoria Royal Coat of Arms
St Andrew's Church, Bulmer
1. 'Raising of Jairus's Daughter', 'Adoration of the Shepherds', 'Mary 'Magdalene meets the Risen Christ' in Memory of Albert Edward Minter and his wife Ada, their daughter Marjorie and granddaughter Elizabeth.
Window by Muriel Cooper, 1955

2. 'The Ascension' East window in Memory of Ellen Jane Raymond,
wife of Edward Raymond d.1876
3.
'The Three Maries' in Memory of Peggy Redfern, (nee Minter),
by Muriel Cooper, 1968

St Andrew's Church, Bulmer
Black marble Altar Tomb, c 1539 to John De Vere, Fifteenth Earl of Oxford and his Wife Elizabeth (nee Trussell)
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham
C15th, 6 bay Chancel Screen with trefoiled sub-cusped head, crocketed with finials and tracery
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham

Embroidered Screen depicting the styles and periods of architecture in Castle Hedingham. There are 39 buildings portrayed on the four screens.
Panel one has the deVere coat of arms with Hedingham Castle at the top.
Panel two is the Old Vicarage. This was built for the Unwin family in the C18th.
Panel three shows the United reformed church
Panel four is headed by St Nicholas' Church. It is a Norman church built around 1170 on the site of an earlier Saxon church

St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham.
Model of St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham by Percy D. Brown, 1938.
Scale : 1/2" to 12".
Monument to the First World War
St Nicholas Church,
Castle Hedingham
Misericord
St Nicholas Church,
Castle Hedingham
Tapestry Stitch Kneeler
St Nicholas Church,
Castle Hedingham
1. Stained Glass Window in Memory of Francis Mary Twist d.1909 by Percy Bacon
2. 'Dorcas', 'St Nicholas' and 'St Luke the Evangelist' in Memory of John Bourne Bromley d.1925 and Marianne Bromley d.1922 by J. Wippell & Co. 1927
3.
Apostles and Prophets - Matthew, Mark, Peter, Luke, John - Esaias, Jeremiah, Paul, Ezekiel, and Daniel by Percy Bacon 1890's

St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham
Pulpit with Large Tester
St Nicholas Church,
Castle Hedingham.
Painted pipe organ by J.W. Walker & Sons Ltd., 1879
St Nicholas Church,
Castle Hedingham
Black Marble Altar Tomb,
c.1539 to John DeVere, Fifteenth Earl of Oxford and his Wife Elizabeth
(nee Trussell)
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham
Baptismal Font is a memorial to Rev. Henry Lewis Majendie, d.1863
St Nicholas Church,
Castle Hedingham
6 bay Nave with alternating circular and octagonal piers
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham
Carved Faces on the Chancel Screen
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham
C12th Wheel Window
1700 pieces of stained glass added during Victorian restoration
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham
Carved Faces on the Chancel Screen
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham
South Aisle Side Chapel with altar and C19th tessellated mosaic.
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham
Royal Coat of Arms,
1816-1837
St Nicholas Church,
Castle Hedingham

C19th Romanesque-style Sedilia and Piscina
St Nicholas Church, Castle Hedingham

Model constructed from 200,000 matchsticks by Mr E. l. Rainer. Presented to the church in 1971
St Peter's Church, Sible Hedingham
Painted Reredos of Twelve Saints
St Peter's Church, Sible Hedingham
1. Edward III Royal Coat of Arms
2. Tomb recess of the Condottiere Sir John Hawkwood, 1394
3. East Window in Memory of Agnes Margaret Margie Warburton d.1892 by Heaton, Butler & Bayne

St Peter's Church, Sible Hedingham
Village Sign
Wethersfield
C15th, 11 bay Rood Screen
St Mary Magdalene, Wethersfield
1. Window in Memory of Everard S. Marsh, killed at the Battle of Kandahar, Afganistan, 1880.
Window by C.H. Champagneulle of Bar le Duc, Meuse, France
2. 'Crucifixion' East Window in Memory of Brigadier General Charles William Eric Gordon d.1857, buried in Reninghelst Cemetery, Ypres. Window by C H Champagneulle of Bar le Duc, Meuse, France
3. Window in Memory of Captain Charles Gordon killed at the Kashmir Gate, Delhi, 1908
and to his wife Charlotte d.1908 by Kempe & Tower
4. 'The Good Shepherd' and St Peter' in Memory of Rev. William Marsh d.1889 by Ward and Hughes
5. 'Blessed Virgin Mary', St Mary Magdaline' and 'St Mary Cleophas Commemorative window to the Bower family, 1876

St Mary Magdalene, Wethersfield
Altar Tomb with alabaster effigies of Henry Wentworth of Codham Hall, 1482;
and Elizabeth (nee Howard), his first wife. He was the son of Sir Roger Wentworth and Margaret Despencer
St Mary Magdalene, Wethersfield
Viewed from a distance
St Mary Magdalene, Wethersfield
Charles II Royal Coat of Arms, 1660
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Octagonal Font with carved angels. Quatrefoil panels with shields on the bowl
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Detail of carved heads on the C14th
oak chancel screen

St John the Baptist, Finchingfield

The Berners Tomb
Purbeck Marble Tomb of Elizabeth Berners d.1523, daughter of Simon Wiseman of Brantham
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield

Memorial Brass to John and Elizabeth Berners
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Wall Monument to Thomas Marriot, 1766
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Wall Plaque to Rev. Matthew Vaughan, d.1889
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Norman Archway
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Hatchment of Samuel Ruggles, who married Sarah English
of Bocking d.1828
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Hatchment of John Ruggles-Brise, of Spains Hall who married 1824, Catherine, daughter of John Haynes Harrison, of Copford Hall, d.1852
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Hatchment of Thomas Ruggles, of Spains Hall, deputy-lieutenant of Suffolk and Essex, d.1813
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Mosaic Tile Reredos
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
'Peace', 'Victory'
and 'Rest' in Memory of William Buy Owen d.1895 and his wife Mary (nee Blacket) d.1877
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Painted Pipe Organ by A.T. Miller, Cambridge, 1896. Angel with trumpet carved by Bacon of London, 1900
St John the Baptist, Finchingfield
Late C14th Chancel Arch combined with a stone
rood-screen. The screen was commissioned in 1377 by Edmund Mortimer, the grandson of Edward III
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield

Painted Pipe Organ by A.T. Miller of Cambridge, 1878. Organ case c.1840, designed by Pugin
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield

Altar Frontal and Reredos
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield
'St Margaret', 'St Agnes' and 'St Cecilia', in Memory of Adela Minna Lampet d.1873
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield
'St Augustine', 'St Gregory' and 'King Ethelbert', in Memory of to Rev. Lionel Lampet, d.1921
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield
'The Three Marys', in Memory of Amy Julia Lambert d.1876
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield
Brass Wall Monument to William Bendlowes, 1584
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield
'Incarnation'
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield
Drum shaped nonagonal Victorian oak pulpit with tester
St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield
Organ by Miller, Cambridge 1864. Ornate C17th case with outer towers
St Katherine's Church, Little Bardfield
WW1 Wall Memorial
St Katherine's Church, Little Bardfield
1. St Catherine
2 'The Blessed Virgin Mary', 'Crucifixion'and 'St John the Evangelist',
designed by R. Creed, 1909
3. Mary, mother of Jesus

St Katherine's Church, Little Bardfield
Thaxted, Essex
The largest church in the County of Essex
Church of St John the Baptist, Thaxted
1. 'Edward IV', 'Prior of Stoke by Clare', 'Vicar of Thaxted', and 'Gilbert de Clare'
by Gamon & Humphry, 1910
2. 'St Ambrose' and 'St Augustine' by C. E. Kempe
3.
'St George', 'St Thomas of Canterbury', 'St Anselm' and king Edmund'
by C. E. Kempe, 1907

Church of St John the Baptist, Thaxted
C15th carved font case
and cover
Church of St John the Baptist, Thaxted
1680 pulpit with
large tester
Church of St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Pipe Organ by
Henry Lincoln, London, 1821. Dark mahogany casework, with carved detail and gold leaf display pipes
Church of St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Nave Door c.1400
Church of St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Floral Painted Wardrobe
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Painted Candelabra
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Wooden carved and
painted eagle lectern
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Queen Anne Royal Coat of Arms
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Hatchment for Henry, 3rd Viscount Maynard, Lord Lieutenant and
Vice-Admiral of Essex d.1865
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
C15th Carved Screen
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Carved Bench End c.1640
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Brass of Robert Wydow of Wedow, vicar of Thaxted 1481-1489
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Carved Bench End c.1640
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
A view of John Webb's Windmill along the line of almhouses. Known as the 'Chantry' and built as a Priest's House, they later became almshouses
Thaxted
An Old English Sheep Dog
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
We had lunch in the back porch of
St John the Baptist, Thaxted
View of St John the Baptist and the windmill from across the fields
Thaxted
John Webb's Windmill is a Tower Mill built in 1804 Thaxted
View from a distance of St John the Baptist, Thaxted
Coade Stone Font designed by Richard Holland, 1786
St Mary the Virgin and All Saints, Debden
'Crucifixion'
By Gibbs & Howard, c.1900
St Mary the Virgin and All Saints, Debden
George III Royal Coat of Arms
St Mary the Virgin and All Saints, Debden
Tomb of Richard Chiswell of Debden Hall, 1797, built to a design by John Carter
St Mary the Virgin and All Saints, Debden
C19th Pulpit
St Mary the Virgin, Newport
1. 'Philip and the Eunuch' erected to mark the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria,
by Heaton, Butler & Bayne, 1887
2. 'Suffer the Little Children' by Heaton, Butler & Bayne
3. 'Threshing Floor of Araunah the Jebusite' by Heaton, Butler & Bayne, 1891

St Mary the Virgin, Newport
'Pelican in Piety' (detail)
by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake c.1870
St Mary the Virgin, Newport
'Lamb of God' (detail)
by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake c.1870
St Mary the Virgin, Newport
'St Matthew' (detail)
by Lavers, Barraud & Westlake c.1870
St Mary the Virgin, Newport
St Mary and St Clement, Clavering
Church Micro 2957 DNF
Wall Monument to the two wives of Haynes Barlee. Mary d.1653 and Margaret d.1658
St Mary and St Clement, Clavering
Wall Monument to Will Barlee d.1610,
Elizabeth Barlee d.1619
and John Barlee d.1633
St Mary and St Clement, Clavering
Wall Monument to
Rev. John Smith, 1616
St Mary and St Clement, Clavering
Monumental Brass to Joane Day, 1593

St Mary and St Clement, Clavering
C17th Carved Pulpit
on a C15th stem
St Mary and St Clement, Clavering
1. 'Suffer the Little Children' in Memory of Window to Ellen Beadle, d.1917
wife of Charles Beadle and their daughters Ellen Hart & Ethel Mary West who predeceased her
2. St Mary the Virgin, Arkesden
3. 'St Alban', 'The Blessed Virgin Mary' and 'St Michael' East Window by William Lawson, 1929

St Mary the Virgin, Arkesden
Wall Memorial to John Withers and his wife, 1692 by sculptor
Edward Pierce
St Mary the Virgin, Arkesden
'The Priest'
John Croxby dressed in cassock and surplice, was vicar of Arkesden from 1435-1456
St Mary the Virgin, Arkesden
'The Cutte Monument'
Richard Cutte and his wife, 1592
St Mary the Virgin, Arkesden
Chamber Organ with mahogany panels, decorated in gold by C.E. Mothersole, c.1780
St Mary the Virgin, Wendens Ambo
Monumental Brass
of Sir William Lovenay c.1415
St Mary the Virgin, Wendens Ambo
A drawing of the C14th Wall Painting depicting the story of St Margaret of Antioch.
Drawing by E.W. Tristram, 1934
St Mary the Virgin, Wendens Ambo
1. 'Crucifixion' C16th Flemish Roundel
2. 'The Prodigal Son' by Clayton & Bell, 1888
3. 'St Mark' C16th Flemish roundel


St Mary the Virgin, Wendens Ambo
Audley End House and Gardens
Formerly the family seat of the Lords Braybrooke.
Early C17th country house outside Saffron Walden, Essex
Village Cottages, Wendens Ambo
Village Square, Saffron Walden
Town Hall, Saffron Walden
Saffron Walden Literary and Scientific Institute founded in 1832, renamed Saffron Walden Town Library in 1967
Large C15th Hall House at the corner of King Street and Cross Street, Saffron Walden
54ft high Nave
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
Organ built in 1824 by John Vincent.
Incorporates an
En chamade, or fan trumpet
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
1. 'St Alban', 'St Helena', 'St Etheldreda', and 'St Edmund'
in Memory of Mary Maria Tuke d.1911 by James Powell & Sons
2. Temporance, Prudence, Justice and fortitude
in Memory of Doctor Harold William Atkinson d.1908 by James Powell & Sons
3. Righteousness, Hospitality, Charity and Faith,
in Memory of Mary Atkinson d.1916 by James Powell & Sons
4.'Chenaniah', 'Heman', 'Jebuthun' and 'Asaph'
in Memory of the church organist John Thomas Frye d.1884 by James Powell & Sons

St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
'Nativity' East Window in Memory of
Charles Cornwallis Neville, 5th Baron Braybrooke
, 1902
by Burlison & Grylls
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
Victorian Reredos with Jesus in the centre, flanked by the four Evangelists
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
Charles II Royal Coat of Arms
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
"Magnificat" by Tessa Hawkes, 2014.
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
A civilian and his wife, c.1510. The man wears a fur-trimmed gown. The lady wears a waist girdle with long pendant ends and a coverchief headdress
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
Civilian, wearing a loose sleeved doublet, with tight wrist bands In the right arm he supports a large, thick, double clasped book, 1530
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
Two ladies both with butterfly headresses and a plain tight-fitting low necked gown, fur trimmed at the neck, 1480
St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden
Pargeting on building, 1676
Saffron Walden
Charlie standing under the overhang of a pargetted building, Saffron Walden
Pargetted Post Office, Radwinter
Village Sign
Radwinter
Charlie and Gillian standing in the C14th south porch of St Mary the Virgin, Radwinter

Return to Main Index