July 3rd, 2016

A Visit to Powderham Castle, Devon and Kenton

Powderham Castle
Powderham Castle is a fortified manor house and the seat of the Courtenays, Earls of Devon, since the C14th
In 1861 the South Wing of Powderham Castle, with its superior medieval roof, was remodelled as a Chapel
C16th carved bench ends that originated from South Huish
Powderham Castle Chapel
All Saints Church, Kenton
'Saint Sidwell'
C15th timber Drum Pulpit on a wineglass stem, richly carved and largely reconstructed by Herbert Read to the designs of Bligh Bond
All Saints Church, Kenton
Nave Rood Screen, 1478-1486.
The coving and rood loft parapet replaced by Herbert Read under the direction of Bligh Bond in the late C19th and early C20th
All Saints Church, Kenton
'Saint Aldhelm'
C15th Drum Pulpit with St Boniface, St Walburga, St Aldhelm, St Sidwell and St Pet
rock, all saints connected with Devonshire
All Saints Church, Kenton
Late C17th Dado panelling with strapwork on the base of the Rood Screen
All Saints Church, Kenton
Nave, West window, by Ballantyne, 1853
All Saints Church, Kenton
Chancel, South window,
by Drake of Exeter, 1891
All Saints Church, Kenton
Chancel, North window,
by
Drake of Exeter, 1891
All Saints Church, Kenton
Nave NE window
by Ballantyne
All Saints Church, Kenton

Return to Main Index