Folio 166 Gloucestershire.

 

folio 166

A priest with 1/2 plough. The value was 8; now 12.

The Church itself holds BROADWELL. 10 hides. In lordship 6 ploughs; 25
villagers, 8 smallholders, 1 free man and a priest; between them they have 12
ploughs. 13 slaves. In Gloucester 4 burgesses, in Winchcombe 1; they pay 27d.
The value of the whole was 8; now 12.

In WITLEY Hundred

The Church itself holds [Upper] SWELL. 3 hides. 9 villagers, 2 smallholders and
a priest; between them 4 ploughs. 6 slaves. The value was 4; now 5. In
lordship 3 ploughs; 3 mills there, 20s.

The Church itself holds WILLERSEY. 8 hides; 1 at WICKHAMFORD. In lordship 3
ploughs; 16 villagers, 4 smallholders and a priest with 6 ploughs. 2 slaves; a
little meadow. The value was 4; now 100s.

The Church itself holds WESTON [Cantilupe]. 3 hides; 1 free. In lordship 2
ploughs. 5 villagers and a priest with 2 ploughs. The value was 20s; now 40s.

The Church itself holds [Lark] STOKE. 2 hides. In lordship 1 plough; 7 villagers
and 2 smallholders with 2 ploughs. 1 slave. The value is and was 40s.

The Church itself holds HIDCOTE [Bartrim]. 3 hides. In lordship 1 plough; 2
slaves. The wives of 4 villagers lately dead have 1 plough. The value is and was
20s. The Abbot has these two villages, assigned to two of his men-at-arms.

In GRESTON Hundred

In the Quarter of Winchcombe St Mary's of Evesham had 56 hides before 1066.

The Land of St Mary's of Abingdon
In GRESTON Hundred

St Mary's Church of Abingdon holds DUMBLETON. 7 1/2 hides. In lordship 4
ploughs; 13 villagers and 8 smallholders with 8 ploughs. 6 slaves; a mill at 6s.
Value before 1066 12; now 9. This manor paid tax before 1066.

The Land of St Mary's of Pershore
In RAPSGATE Hundred

St Mary's Church of Pershore holds COWLEY. 5 hides which pay tax. In lordship 2
ploughs; 14 villagers and 1 smallholder with 7 ploughs. 5 slaves; a mill at 50d;
meadow, 6 acres; woodland 3 furlongs long and 1 wide. Value 100s.

In GRIMBOLDESTOU Hundred

The Church itself holds HAWKESBURY. 17 hides. In lordship 5 ploughs; 18
villagers and 25 smallholders with 15 ploughs. 2 slaves and 7 freedmen. 3 mills
at 19s 2d; meadow, 10 acres; woodland at 2 leagues long and 1 wide. The value
was 16; now 10.

The Land of St Mary's of Coventry
In CELFLEDETORN Hundred

St Mary's Church of Coventry holds [Long] MARSTON. 10 hides. In lordship 3
ploughs; 15 villagers and 3 smallholders with 12 ploughs. 6 slaves; meadow at
10s. The value was 8; now 100s.

The Land of the Church of Sainte-Marie of Cormeilles
In BOTLOE Hundred

The Church of Sainte-Marie of Cormeilles holds NEWENT. King Edward held it. 6
hides did not pay tax. Earl Roger gave it to this Church for his father's soul,
with King William's assent. In lordship 3 ploughs; 9 villagers and 9
smallholders with 12 ploughs; a reeve who has 1 1/2 villagers and 5
smallholders; between them they have 5 ploughs and a mill at 20d. 2 slaves; 2
mills at 6s 8d; from the woodland 30d. Durand the sheriff holds 1 hide of this
land from the Abbot. He has 1 plough and 5 smallholders and 2 slaves with 2
ploughs. 2 hedged enclosures of which the King has taken possession. Value of
the whole manor before 1066 4; now 100s; of Durand's hide, 12s. William son of
Baderon holds 1 virgate of this manor's land by force.

The Land of the Church of Sainte-Marie of Lyre
In RAPSGATE Hundred

The Church of Sainte-Marie of Lyre holds DUNTISBOURNE [Leer]. 1 hide and 1
virgate. In lordship 1 plough; 2 smallholders. The value is and was 20s. Roger
of Lacy gave this land to this Church. Edmer held it before 1066.

The Land of the Church of Eynsham
In CELFLEDETORN Hundred

The Church of Eynsham holds MICKLETON. 14 hides. In lordship 5 ploughs; 20
villagers and 7 smallholders with 10 ploughs. 8 male and 2 female slaves; 24
measures of salt from Droitwich. The value is and was 10. The Church also held
it before 1066.

The Land of St Peter's of Westminster
In DEERHURST Hundred

St Peter's Church of Westminster holds DEERHURST. 59 hides. Before 1066 5 hides
in the head of the manor. 3 ploughs there. 20 villagers and 8 smallholders with
10 ploughs. 6 slaves; meadow, 60 acres; woodland 2 leagues long and 1/2 league
wide. The value is and was 10.

These outliers belong to this manor: HARDWICKE, 5 hides; BOURTON-on-the-Hill, 8
hides; TODENHAM, 7 hides; SUTTON-under-Brailes, 5 hides; in total 25 hides. In
lordship 13 ploughs; 45 villagers and 27 smallholders with 21 ploughs. 37
slaves; 4 mills at 20s; meadow, 20 acres; woodland 1 league long and 1/2 wide;
water-meadows 3 furlongs long and 1 wide. Riding men, that is, free men, held of
this manor's land before 1066, who all, however, ploughed, harrowed, scythed and
reaped for the lord's work. At ELMSTONE Brictric held 1 hide; Reinbald the
priest holds it. At ELLINGS Godric held 2 hides; at WIGHTFIELD Edwy 1 hide; at
TODENHAM Edwy 1 hide; Walter Ponther holds them. At HAYDEN 2 hides; at
BOURTON-on-the-Hill 2 hides; Wulfwy held them. At KEMERTON 1/2 hide; Leofwin
uncle of Thorkil held it. Gerard the chamberlain holds these lands. There also
Abbot Baldwin of Bury St Edmunds holds 1/2 hide. At EVINGTON Alwy? the sheriff
held 1 hide and 1 virgate; at ORIDGE [Street] Leofwin uncle of Thorkil 1/2 hide;
at RYE Edric 2 1/2 virgates; William son of Baderon holds them. At RYE Edric
held 2 1/2 virgates; at KEMERTON Alwin the sheriff 1/2 hide; Abbot Baldwin holds
them. At HASFIELD Brictric of Newton held 1 1/2 hides; Turstin son of Rolf holds
them. At [Upper] LEMINGTON Auti held 3 hides; Gilbert son of Turold holds them.
At MORETON-in-Marsh Alfrith of Moreton held 1/2 hide; he also holds it himself.
In these lands in lordship 11 1/2 ploughs; 14 villagers and 27 smallholders with
7 ploughs. 14 slaves; meadow, 20 acres. Besides these lands Gerard the
chamberlain holds 8 hides in KEMERTON and 3 hides in BODDINGTON which have
always paid tax and rendered other services in Deerhurst Hundred. But after
Gerard had them, they rendered neither tax nor service. Before 1066 the whole
manor gave in revenue 41 and 8 sesters of honey by the King's measure; value
now 40, of which 26 belongs to the lord's manor and 14 to the men.

The Land of Saint-Denis, Paris
In DEERHURST Hundred

The Church of Saint-Denis holds these villages: UCKINGTON, 5 hides; STAVERTON, 3
hides; COLN [St Dennis] and CALCOT, 5 hides; [Little] COMPTON, 12 hides;
PRESTON-on-Stour, 10 hides; WELFORD-on-Avon, 15 hides. In these lands in
lordship 15 ploughs; 75 villagers and 12 smallholders with 39 ploughs. 38
slaves; 4 mills at 40s; meadow, 36 acres; woodland 2 1/2 leagues long and 1
league and 2 furlongs wide. Of the above land 5 free men hold 4 1/2 hides. 2 1/2
hides beyond the Severn in also belong to the manor. In WOOLSTONE, 5 hides; in
LEIGH, 1 hide; in [Deerhurst] WALTON. 1 hide; in KEMERTON, 1/2 hide. In these
lands in lordship 5 ploughs; 5 villagers and 18 smallholders with 9 ploughs. 1
free man lives there. Meadow, 38 acres; woodland 1/2 league long and 2 furlongs
wide. 30 burgesses in Gloucester belong to this manor who pay 15s 8d; in
Winchcombe 2 burgesses who pay 10d. Value of the whole manor before 1066 26
10s; now 30.

Return to Main Index

Creative Commons License
The Domesday Data was created by a team led by Professor John Palmer at the University of Hull
and has been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License